Learn the correct way to install a V-press fitting with this step-by-step guide. We walk you through the process, from cutting the tube to completing the joint with the compression tool.
From preparation to final recommendations and materials checklist, here are the steps to ensure your water or heating system is safe and lasts in time.
Ensure the correct tube size and fitting match and are the right size for the water or heating system.
Ensure that both tube and fitting are clean, in good condition, and free from damage and imperfections.
- Copper pipe
- Press fittings
- Press Tool – “V” profile jaws
- Press gun
- Deburrer or steel wool
- Pipe cutter
1. Cut the pipe to size using a rotary tube cutter.
2. Ensuring the pipe ends are clean and cut square is essential.
3. Clean the outside of the pipe. Deburr both internal and external pipe ends, then wipe clean of all swarf and debris to avoid damage to the ‘O’ ring upon tube insertion.
4. The tube must be fully inserted into the fitting until it meets the tube stop. Before inserting the pipe, check the O-ring is present, lubricated, and free from damage.
Jointing the pipe and fitting
1. Keep all fittings in their bag before installation to ensure the lubrication does not dry out.
2. Assemble the joint, ensuring the tube is inserted into the fitting until it meets the tube stop, using the insertion depth mark as a visual aid. Only when the tube reaches the tube stop should the pressing operation be undertaken.
3. Ensure you select the correct size jaw and that the jaw is V profile
4. When pressing all joints, a 90° angle between the tube and jaws must be maintained. Press the trigger or button to start the jointing cycle. The joint is complete when the jaws fully enclose the mouth of the fitting.
5. After the press cycle is complete, remove the jaws and check that the socket depth marking on the pipe has remained in place adjacent to the now-pressed mouth of the fitting.
- Ensure you will use quality tools
- Use our V-press copper fittings for reliable systems
- We recommend wearing eye protection when operating all press-fit tools.